Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had polycethemia vera and in transformed to myelofibrosis.

I had polycethemia vera...

I had polycethemia vera and in transformed to myelofibrosis. my epo tests through both phases was very high ranging from 32-170. is not epo non existant in P'v

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Now i have all those cause i'm in the late stages, transforming to AML. i lost 100 lbs years ago and now i am from 20-50 lbs more cause of high ldh

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

In 2010 i got PV. i am jak 2 + under the allele burden of c<1893 something. i was transfused 70+ times. my hgb is now 13 with wbc of 29 and platelets over 700. all the red cell diff as mcv, etc are horribly low. are the red blast cells contributing to the hgb without the benefit of good blood. i feel just like when i had hcb of 4

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Horrible. i'm in palliative care being evaluated for hospice

11/19/2017
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry

it sounds like you have been battling this blood disorder for a long time now, 7+ years.

it sounds like there is not much more your doctors can do for you if they are considering hospice care

how old are you?

is medical marijuana legal in your state? it could help improve your appetite and help you eat some and help decrease some pain for you.

what medical questions do you have for me?

dear Dr David--i am 59 years old. i was diagnosed w/pv at 51. i stopped cancer care more than a year ago after 4 different types of chemotherapy. i was hospitalized 3 times since. what confuses me is my hemoglobin/hematocrit. in the beginning it would be 21/65 then in 2014 it would be 7/25 and vary between 4/14 and 13/48. i had 71 transfusions between 22014 and 2016. i never received one this year. i went to the hospital last week again and my counts were--hgl--13.7
hemat--48%---wbc---29----platelets 700 rbc-7.34-. then the red cell diff mcv--66.1---mch--18.7 mchc28.2(all very low) . in my last bone marrow biopsy on 6/1/16==it said 'acute myeloid blasts detected.
please explain the high red cell count. i know transforming from MF back to PV can't happen.
thanks much

you could be dehydrated. if you are not drinking enough fluids, this can concentrate your red cells in your blood stream.

my BUN was 10 so I don't think dehydration was an issue. I need to know what and if a late stage MF which is in early transform. to AML. stabilization of hgb with rbc quality awful.

if you have elevation of your hemoglobin levels, WBC of 29 which is not too bad, it doesn't seem like your MF is transforming into AML now.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician