Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Was looking up a random med question...kind of at a loss.

Hey Pearl, was looking...

Hey Pearl, was looking up a random med question...kind of at a loss.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Having pain at the tip of my sternum, tender when palpated...obviously gets worse the more I rub it...I was drawn to it because it seemed slightly swollen. No previous injuries I can think of at the xiphoid process

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

I can't think of a recent injury. about a year ago when lifting weights I would feel the sternum popping but that felt much higher. Swelling has been past few months, gets worse the more I rub it (when feeling for any bumps or abnormal growths. It honestly just feels like a tender and slightly swollen xiphoid...but I can't tie it to a specific injury.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really, very healthy 34 year old. Exercise regularly, very active.

11/19/2017

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Is it just the tip of your sternum and not any further up?

Exactly. Only the point past the intersection of the ribs to the sternum. It is the softer more pliable point below the sternum which is very tender and seemingly swollen recently. I can't point to a specific injury which would cause it, hence why I am confused as to its tenderness. Palpating it makes it much worse.

The term here is xiphoidalgia and it's somewhat related to costochondritis--an inflammation of the cartilage that connects the ribs

There's no specific cause for it but it isn't anything serious

For now you can try over the counter topical capsaicin cream but if it persists, you'll need a cortisone injection there by your doctor

Please let me know if you need any more information

Thank you very much. Although I don't have a specific injury, I did start triathlon training (it is very low impact other than running) a few months ago, so I am guessing it may be a contributing factor. Thank you again, if it gets worse I'll go in. Appreciate the feedback.

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Done and done, have a great night.

Call on me anytime