Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son has been having pain under his right rib cage for…

Second opinion] hello my...

Second opinion] hello my son has been having pain under his right rib cage for approx 3 weeks now. An ultrasound was done and diagnosis was made that he had an enlarged spleen. But the pain is coming from the opposite side any suggestions??

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Approximately 3 weeks, breathing in deeply, lying on the right side wakes him up at night. Standing straight up makes the pain more intense then if he leans slightly forward.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He took Acutane for 4 months but finished taking the medication a month and a half ago. He had regular blood work done while on it and it came back normal

11/19/2017
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old is your son.

pain below the right ribs often is due to inflammation of the gall bladder which can come from a small gall stone or inflammation of the gall bladder

fatty foods, alcohol can worsen gall bladder inflammation.

excessive stomach acid, gastritis, a duodenal ulcer can also cause pain under the right ribs

has he tried any stomach acid reducers? zantac? prilosec to help decrease stomach acid?

No he hasn’t tried antacids. Could gastritis or ulcers also cause an enlarged spleen.

no.

usually a viral infection like mononucleosis or other viral infections can cause an enlarged spleen.

he should try some over the counter stomach acid reducers and see if they help

prilosed is omeprazole 20mg which should be taken 30-60 minutes before dinner

he can also take zantac 150mg in the morning to help decrease stomach acid.

maalox and gavascon can be used during the day

he should avoid those foods I mentioned which can cause worse stomach acid.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician