Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I recently noticed a painless lump in the middle my lower

Hello, JA: Hello. How can I...
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I recently noticed a painless lump in the middle my lower sternum, just above my ribcage. I went for an ultrasound today and nothing was detected. I am obviously very concerned and am just looking for some additional information prior to my next appointment
JA: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: It is hard
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
11/18/2017
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.

How big is the lump?

When did you notice it?

Do you have any other medical problems?

What is your age and gender?

Please let me know.

Regards

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Hello,The lump is roughly the size of a large grape. I noticed it about 1 week ago. I saw a doctor, and she referred me for an ultrasound, which did not detect anything.I am a 32 year old male. No other medical problems

I am surprised as to how the ultrasound missed such a big lump.

Most common cause of such a lump, is a lipoma, which is something absolutely harmless.

I would not worry whatsoever.

If it is getting annoying or painful you can request to have it removed.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me when you are done.

Kindest regards

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Hi,Thanks for your quick response. I was told that the ultrasound did not pick anything up because it is not fluid filled, which is why I'm a little concerned that it is something more serious. I read that perhaps it is just my xiphoid process, but I'm not sure why I would just be noticing it now?

Can you please send a picture of it if possible.

Thank you and sorry for the late response as I was busy with a patient here in my clinic.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
No problem. Yes, here is a picture. Thanks.

Does the lump feel hard/bone-like? Or is it softish?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
It's hard and does not move.

In that case ultrasound would not pick it up as it is most likely related to the bone.

It is not xiphoid but it could just be a bony lump which is usually something that can happen normally.

If it is not causing him any problems, I would not worry whatsoever.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me when done.

Regards

Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Dr. SH
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician