Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can donation of platelets (around 4-5 times) cause an effect…

Customer Question
Can donation of platelets (around...
Can donation of platelets (around 4-5 times) cause an effect multiple years down the road?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/18/2017
Doctor: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 5 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.comThis is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.
I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.
Thank you for your patience.
Answers here are for education and information only.
What type of effects are you concerned about?
I am 37 years old and have had various issues. At 24 I moved to Switzerland and continuously had colds/flues, much more often than ever in my life. I was declined for life insurance following a blood test (the company not disclosing specifics) at the age of 26 and to my knowledge was healthy as could. Couldn't remember the last time visiting a doctor and exercised 3-4 days a week. At about 28 I had a strange skin issue (similar to plaque psoriasis) that just disappeared one day. I developed periodic pain in the colon area with flares that were extremely painful. Saw multiple specialists and had an insane amount of blood tests conducted (including for AIDS). All came back negative. I was referred to a GI regarding the colon issue, but he was on vacation and by the time he returned to perform a colonoscopy (due to a CT scan showing possible U.C) I had been on antibiotics and anti-inflammations for two weeks, hence his statement following the procedure was that there was mild inflammation, nothing more and to come back if the problem persisted. Now I had two bulging discs, one that is torn, and can not be explained by my Primary or two other orthopedics. I have not lifted anything heavy lately, I do not work in heavy construction (unless you consider a keyboard heavy) and have had no answers as to why I have a torn disc. When I researched about U.C. and similar types of problems I found that is usually stemmed from the immune system being confused, believing there is an infection in a certain area, and even if so, continues so attack the area when it is no longer needed. Therefore, I am trying to understand if there is any possibility to donating platelets potentially permanently effecting your immune system, because all of these issues appear out of nowhere and then disappear and not one specialist (which I have seen some very highly reputed specialists, particularly in London when I was living there) has been able to determine a cause.
Ok, thank you for that additional information. Donating platelets should not cause or have triggered the other issues that you listed.The discs can tear for numerous reasons and does not have to be related to heavy lifting. Every year I see at least one patient that has a herniated disc that occurred from something as simple as coughing or sneezing, both which can increase stress and strain along the spine and cause the herniation or tearing.Physical therapy would still be the first choice for the disc issue.As far as your suspected UC, I would look at diet modification and probiotics if you haven’t already. There is a lot of new research focusing on the role of the gut and the gut microbiome in regards ***** ***** role in autoimmune disease.Does that help answer your question?

Did my response answer your question?

If so, I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD