Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a burning sensation in the top of head. It just

Customer Question
I have a burning...

I have a burning sensation in the top of head.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

It just started today. I’ve had a headache for over a week which I think may be tension headache? The burning just started awhile ago.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

Whats your age? Sex?

Any concurrent medical illness you have?

26 female no medical illness

Thank you very much.

This is usually a symptoms of Neuralgia --- a condition in which a nerve supplying the affected area of scalp is irritated.

Nerve entrapment is the usual reason but this can happen with vitamin B12 deficiency and other reasons for neuropathy.

I’ve been having pressure in my temples and back of head and then the burning sensation started today.

Having said that, I would suggest that you can try Motrin or Tylenol right now for pain control and see how you respond to it. Because your symptoms are very recent and history is very short. However, if the symptoms persist, doesn't improve or get worse, I believe you need to see a doctor for a physical exam first, and if needed further tests can be done.

Thanks

Good luck !

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Also please read this article by clicking the link below; It will be helpful

https://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/occipital-neuralgia-symptoms-causes-treatments#1

Wish you good health..

Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

I had a eye appt last week with no problems except he said I have small nerves. How Can I get this pain and headaches to go away. And my anxiety.

Okay; the first thing is to try regular pain meds like Tylenol or motrin.

Have adequate sleep

Avoid stimulants like caffeine; power drinks etc

And if still this persist, you need to have a specialized consult with a Neurologist for a more detailed evaluation like brain imaging and other medications for headache.

And if Anxiety is the reason for this pain, then anxiolytic medications will be required --- your doctor can prescribe you these if he feels they are needed.

Should I go to urgent care since I’ve had headaches for over a week?

Yes you should.

Was my response helpful?

If yes, do Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.