Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

The front and outer part of my right thigh are completely…

Customer Question
Second opinion] The front...

Second opinion] The front and outer part of my right thigh are completely numb, have been for 6 months. Stops at my knee and occasionally have burning in the front of thigh when i stretch

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

My Legs also feel very heavy at times; i�ve Had 2 microdiskectomyu�s at l5/s1 for the left side no swelling

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Recent mri shows some degeneration at l3-s1 but no signs of herniation. Back looks ok.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
I have attached my mri report from May
One more
I am a very active and health adult male, age 41. I saw my surgeon, Dr. Fessler in Chicago, on Tuesday and he indicated its probably a pinched nerve, but had no definitive anaswer. Don’t really have much weakness, but leg feels heavy at times. Occasional burning in the front of thigh made worse by certain stretches
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/18/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Hi there.

I'm sorry about this issue

can I ask a personal question?

are you overweight or obese?

No. I’m 6’1’’ and 193 lbs.
This meralgia parasthetica keeps popping up in my searches and i brought that up to my DR and he refuted it saying thats for overweight people and diabetics

absolutely

that is what I was getting at

you are 100% right though

it sounds like meralgia paresthetica

also known as lateral femoral cutaneous nerve syndrome

Does that effect the front of the leg too or just the side? How do I diagnose that?Did you get a chance to see my mri? Could be my back too with all the prior issues I’ve had?

Yes, I have seen your MRI

it could be your back

Have you had an EMG?

I did have an emg that was abnormal only due to my sciatic nerve which has been damaged from prior surgeries.They only took some tests on the right leg.
I’m seeing neurologist in three weeks. Is the the best route or another neurosurgeon?
Ortho?

I would see a neurologist for sure

the surgeons won't look in depth at the problem

you are on the right track

If the EMG was over a year ago ask about another one

most neurologists can do it

is this helpfuL?

Thanks for this question

I strive for 5 star service for all customers

If you have more questions, just reply :)

Thanks for this question

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor