Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been diagnosed with Chronic pancreatitis. Can I still…

Customer Question
I have been diagnosed...

I have been diagnosed with Chronic pancreatitis. Can I still have 2 glasses of wine 2 x week?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

I have had a biopsy performed on my pancreas to determine that I have scarring, but no pain. My symptoms had been vomiting and weakness, then an ultrasound of the abdoman to reveal a small structure at the head of the pancreas.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes, and seeing a gastro doctor.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had been drinking several drinks a night which is most likely what led me to this point.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/18/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

Pancreatitis can be due to many underlying causes and Alcohol is one of them.

Has this been the cause for your pancreatitis ?

I didn't get your reply therefore I am posting an answer for you.

If pancreatitis has been caused by Alcohol, you should abstain from alcohol. Even if pancreatitis was not caused by Alcohol, still it is advisable to reduce the consumption of alcohol intake (after pancreatic function has returned to normal) to about 1 serving per day.

In chronic pancreatitis there is ongoing inflammation in the pancreas , therefore a regular use of Alcohol is strongly discouraged.

For most of my patients with chronic pancreatitis, I advice them to avoid alcohol at most.

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.