Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis, in my youth, over…

Customer Question
Good Morning, I...

Good Morning, I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis, in my youth, over 20-25 years ago. I took a lot of meds at that time. In adulthood I've have only had one colonoscopy which has been at least 6-7 years ago. The symptoms have come back. For the past 1- 1/2 weeks I have had flares up where , my BM is primarily blood, and there are 10 Plus urges/BM per day. I'm trying to determine whether I would need to visit an ER, or where a Prompt Care facility would be able to assist ?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I currently don't take any medication for my UC. I do take medications for my asthma/allergies. I take Loratidine daily in the AM, Zyrtec daily at night and Albuterol as needed by inhaler and/or nebulizer

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My primary medical history has been more respiratory. My mother does have Lupus, My Father died from Sarcoidosis of Liver.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/18/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

For a person with symptoms like you; 10 + BM with blood, I will suggest to go to ER for urgent evaluation as per standard guidelines.

They can run some important basic tests on you like a cbc (to determine hemoglobin and need for blood transfusion); and inflammatory markers to help assess severity of inflammation.

An urgent colonoscopy can also be arranged to start specific management.

Don't wait and have this evaluated ASAP.

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor