Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have occasional blood in my mucus in the morning from my…

I have occasional blood...

I have occasional blood in my mucus in the morning from my sinus I'm sure. Does that indicate an infection?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

No breathing problems - very sporadically for a couple of years. Only when I'm in California

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have allergies to dust - and I was out in the wind yesterday and think that could be the underlying issue. (Allergy related)

11/18/2017

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Is the blood just from one nostril?

I spit it out when I clear my throat

OK

Then usually that does indicate a sinus infection and not just an allergy condition

Nothing too serious though--I'd suggest for now a saline nasal irrigation system and oral probiotics

But if that doesn't clear it in a week's time you should have your doctor check it out to see if you need a course of oral antibiotics

Please let me know if you need any more information