Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

Have had a scratchy throat for the past three weeks or so. I

Customer Question

Hi have had a scratchy throat for the past three weeks or so. I stopped smoking about a month ago so it could be a reaction to that.
JA: How severe is this?
Customer: Just an annoyance.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing. It's not viral as no phlegm coming out, nor is it steep throat. Tonsils are not inflamed. But the back of the throat is a bit red. And scratched.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Usually when the chronic smokers stop smoking, the cough becomes little more severe and productive because the damaged epithelial lining of respiratory tract due to smoking, starts regenerating.

However, since it is only your throat, this doesn't explains the cessation effect of smoking satisfactorily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by severe and productive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not a heavy cough either
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Chronic smokers usually have some cough, so when they stop smoking the cough becomes more initially paradoxically due to mechanism I explained earlier. Productive means cough with phlegm.

Usually this kind of throat irritation is secondarily to allergies (environmental) or gastroesophageal reflux.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think this is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have any other swelling or anything like this?
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Since you have been smoking, there is most likely an allergic response or reflux from stomach

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Because in the absence of fever this prolonged symptom doesn't look like to be due to infection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My cough is slightly heavier in the morning and then it's more non existent through the day. If my throat hurts salt water and lozenges seem to make it better.
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Now with 3 weeks history of these symptoms I would suggest to have this evaluated by your doctor, and not to wait any further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's just the scratches on the throat I'm worried about.
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

There is no harm to continue with lozenges; but this is giving you a temporary relief only and the cough is still persistent; We need to identify the reason for that and treat effectively; that's why you need to have this evaluated Soon.

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

I would do a chest xray and some basic blood tests like a cbc initially. And if nothing found may be you need an endoscopy to look for reflux.

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.