Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Have had a scratchy throat for the past three weeks or so. I…

Customer Question
Hi have had a...

Hi have had a scratchy throat for the past three weeks or so. I stopped smoking about a month ago so it could be a reaction to that.

Doctor's Assistant: How severe is this?

Just an annoyance.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing. It's not viral as no phlegm coming out, nor is it steep throat. Tonsils are not inflamed. But the back of the throat is a bit red. And scratched.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/18/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

Thanks

Usually when the chronic smokers stop smoking, the cough becomes little more severe and productive because the damaged epithelial lining of respiratory tract due to smoking, starts regenerating.

However, since it is only your throat, this doesn't explains the cessation effect of smoking satisfactorily.

What do you mean by severe and productive?
It's not a heavy cough either

Chronic smokers usually have some cough, so when they stop smoking the cough becomes more initially paradoxically due to mechanism I explained earlier. Productive means cough with phlegm.

Usually this kind of throat irritation is secondarily to allergies (environmental) or gastroesophageal reflux.

Ok
What do you think this is?
I don't have any other swelling or anything like this?

Since you have been smoking, there is most likely an allergic response or reflux from stomach

Because in the absence of fever this prolonged symptom doesn't look like to be due to infection.

My cough is slightly heavier in the morning and then it's more non existent through the day. If my throat hurts salt water and lozenges seem to make it better.

Now with 3 weeks history of these symptoms I would suggest to have this evaluated by your doctor, and not to wait any further.

It's just the scratches on the throat I'm worried about.

There is no harm to continue with lozenges; but this is giving you a temporary relief only and the cough is still persistent; We need to identify the reason for that and treat effectively; that's why you need to have this evaluated Soon.

I would do a chest xray and some basic blood tests like a cbc initially. And if nothing found may be you need an endoscopy to look for reflux.

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor