Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 20yrs son, immidetly anything enters his mouth for the…

my 20yrs son, poops immidetly...
my 20yrs son, poops immidetly anything enters his mouth for the past 1yr now. what could be the course of this?
11/18/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your sons symptoms. Actually there can be a few conditions which can cause this sort of diarrhea, the first one which comes to mind is that he could be experiencinga malabsorption syndrome. This is a condition in which the intestines and the stomach fail to absorb certain nutrients from the diet. this leads to repeated diarrhea, which may be foul smelling,floats on water and is difficult to flush. This can be due to conditions like celiac disease, whipples disease, pancreatitis, bacterial overgrowth among other causes. It can be diagnosed with the help of various tests including stool tests, blood test and a colonoscopy. Once diagnosed the treatment varies according to the cause.

Another cause can be related to the hormones in the body. many conditions can cause diarrhea, weight loss such as an overactive thyroid which is known as hyperthyroidism. this would be diagnosed with a simple thyroid function test. this would be treated with the help of medications to control the thyroid. Similarly adrenal insufficiency can also lead to this sort of problem as well and a serum cortisol level would be diagnostic here.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you have this evaluated by taking your son to a gastroenterologist who can determine which one of the above conditions is causing him this issue.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali