Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just aspirated a amlodipine Besylate pill. I can feel it…

Customer Question
I just aspirated a...

I just aspirated a amlodipine Besylate pill. I can feel it in my airway but I cannot cough it up. Not sure what the effects

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

20 minutes.. a mild burning sensation

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

A recent stroke

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/18/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

You should go to ER ASAP as there is clear history of pill aspiration and an early intervention may reduce the detrimental effects of a partially dissolved pill.

We can not be sure what effects you might have in next few hours; may be more coughing, reflex bronchospasm and shortness of breath, or the pill may chemically induce inflammation in airways.

So better to go to ER and they may plan to take it out through bronchoscopy.

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.