Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What can I do to help someone breathe better. She is

Customer Question
What can I do...

What can I do to help someone breathe better. She is scheduled for an operation to reinsert a trach on Non 27 2017 but is having a very difficult time breathing now. Please help us to know what to do.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Difficulty in breathing and a serious itch which may or may not be related to the breathing problem. She cannot sleep either sitting up or lying down. Do not want her condition to deteriorate from now till surgery.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Open heart surgery on 1/3/2017. Had intubation tube in for several weeks and then a trach inserted which was removed on 6/14/2017.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

No known info. Right now totally worn out from lack of sleep and constant breathing problems. we are in touch with several doctors and an operation is scheduled for 11/27/2017, but what can we do now to improve breathing?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/18/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about the patients symptoms. Actually if she is having trouble breathing AND you can hear whistling sounds coming from the mouth or from the nose then it is possible that she has developed tracheal stenosis which is narrowing of the breathing tube. this is a complication which can occur after having an endotracheal tube in place for several weeks. And the ONLY solution for this in the short term is to reinsert the tracheostomy tube until a more permanent solution is worked on. Usually surgery is needed to get rid of the narrowing in the trachea in this situation. Secondly , right now what you can try is to use OTC antihistamines like zyrtec or claritin along with steam inhalation which can help clear the upper airway. The antihistanines would help manage any allergic reaction which has occurred on top of the pre existing narrowing of the trachea.

But if she is experiencing so much difficulty in breathing, then she cannot wait until the 27th to have the tube reinserted, if she is short of breath even at rest then she needs to get to teh ER and get an emergency trach done. You can try the antihistamines which can help open up the upper airway but in case her breathing rate is more than 25 breaths per minute then she needs to be taken to the ER RIGHT NOW.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor