Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I returned to the UK on Weds from Sri Lanka. Two days before…

Customer Question
I returned to the UK...
I returned to the UK on Weds from Sri Lanka. Two days before leaving Sri Lanka I developed diarrhoea which has worsened considerably since I got home, and I am now only passing water.
I have previous history of this problem when visiting SE Asia, about 8 years ago, which persisted for several months before finally clearing up. Despite numerous tests, including hospital, no diagnosis was ever made other than a “viral infection”.
I also contracted guardia about 15 years ago which again took weeks to diagnose and cure.
My father - who never travelled abroad - was always susceptible to attacks of violent diarrhoea and I wonder if I have inherited a weakness of some sort.
I am 73, in otherwise very good health.
Nick Marsh
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/18/2017
Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

The symptoms you are having of having diarrhea & now only passing water is most likely suggestive of a condition called gastroenteritis what you call as stomach flu. Gastroenteritis is the irritation and inflammation of the digestive tract.Its most common causes are:Food poisoning, viral infections, food allergies, improper diet, and intestinal parasites or bacterial infections.

This does not seem to be due to history that your father had of attacks of violent diarrhoea/irritable bowel syndrome.

Your symptoms are most likely due to viral infection from your trip to Sri Lanka.

Following is recommended for you now:

- Take tab. Loperamide to stop the diarrhea & loose stools.

--Tab.Acetaminophen for relief from abdominal cramps (if any).

Both of these medications are available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.If still the symptoms persists,then you need to go to ER as tests & antibiotics will be prescribed accordingly. Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets subside with these treatment & doctor visit is less likely required.

Do not forget to drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Do you have any other follow up question?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor