Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had hip replacement surgery 10 days ago. There has been no…

Customer Question
I had hip replacement...

I had hip replacement surgery 10 days ago. There has been no drainage in the last 2 days. Wound has been dry. This evening, the area around the incision has become red and hard. What should I do?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

The symptoms just started early this evening. It's getting worse. Is it an infection?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. My physical therapist was at my home late this afternoon. I had just had a shower, wiped the incision with 70% alcohol and covered it with a gauze dressing and some tape. When the PT was here, there was no hard redness.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/18/2017
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Yes probably it is an infection . Redness and soreness or pain both can point towards infection. You have done the right thing by cleaning it up but it may require a course of antibiotic so its better to visit your doctor to get it examined physically.

Meanwhile you may take ibuprufen to control the inflammation.

You may apply topical bacitracin / polymyxin / mupurocin which are available OTC in various combinations.

Hope it helped.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.