Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Iwas curious I was just diagnosed with a1.6 cm thyroid mass.

Hi Iwas curious I...

Hi Iwas curious I was just diagnosed with a1.6 cm thyroid mass. On an ultrasound they have found another small one located on the thyroid isthmus. The first mass was measured at 1.2cm and 2 weeks later had an ultrasound that measured 1.6cm. I am scheduled to have a biopsy on December 7th.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Weather it's pre cancer or not would it be recommended that I have my thyroid removed

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Yes ma'am

I also forgot to mention that my thyroid function blood work came back normal. Thyroid disease runs in my family
11/18/2017
Do you have family history of thyroid cancer?
Was a thyroid scan done?
No family history of thyroid cancer that I'm aware of and a thyroid scan was not done

Let me at the outset tell you that chance of cancer in these masses is less than 2%.

The biopsy is done for precaution and clearly obtain a categorical answer.

A scan can further help as a normal scan tells that chance of malignancy is very low.

Hope this helps you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you so much that does help!!

You are very welcome.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). Thank you!”.