Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I fell about 6 weeks ago; bruised my shoulder and right

knee. The shoulder was...
I fell about 6 weeks ago; bruised my shoulder and right knee. The shoulder was badly bruised but has since healed. The knee never showed signs of bruising on the skin. The doctor did a lot of movements of my leg and knee and determined it was probably OK since it moved without pain, I walked without pain and there was no swelling or redness, only pain to touch near the knee cap (bursa). I came home and did the RICE treatment for 3 weeks and there was still the burning to touch pain so went back and doc ordered x-ray. She called and said the x-ray "looked good" and to check back in a month. It's been 3 weeks. There is still a burning pain in a very small area near the kneecap (to the left of it); no swelling, no redness, no problem walking or bending knee, although there is a sharp pain if I try to kneel. It still burns to the touch and does that even if material brushes against it. There was fluid visible at the original appointment but it seems to have gone down to the eyesight. Just the burning sensation and pain when touched. Should I ask for the knee to be drained if necessary (I was told draining was a last resort). Should I go back before the 4 weeks are up that she asked me to wait? It has been almost 2 months since I fell. Do you have any other suggestion as to what might be causing the burning sensation and pain to the touch after so long when the x-ray looked good.
11/18/2017

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Just to be sure here--there's no swelling with obvious fluid in that area?

No swelling. It was never swollen, but we could see a small amount of fluid at first. Right now I don't really see any fluid.
17 November 2017 04:21
I asked for the x-ray because it continued to hurt after a month. The doctor didn't think we needed an x-ray on the first visit because the knee seemed to be functioning fine, just hurt and most likely bruised inside.

Then it wouldn't help to try to drain what little fluid might be there--that isn't causing your pain.

It sounds as though you do have an inflammation there--possibly the patellar ligament

You need to go back to your doctor and if I were him I would give you a cortisone injection there

Please let me know if you need any more information

An inflammation makes sense. I've been really concerned because there has been pain in there for so long. It's been nearly 2 months, would an inflammation last this long?

Yes it could and because it's lasted this long is why you need the cortisone injection

thank you. That has been helpful. I will go back in next week and ask for the shot.

My pleasure and call on me anytime