Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

False positive etg? and why probation can use these tests…

Customer Question
False positive etg?...

False positive etg? and why probation can use these tests when they have not been approved by fda to incarcerate people

Doctor's Assistant: Is there an upcoming drug test scheduled? What kind of samples are being tested?

Was already tested on my husband. he is being revoked for prescription drugs he has been prescribed and a etg/ets test. have to get him to sign over power of attorney to get results

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Urine.....and no because of holidays I guess they are keeping hime there til 27th atleast.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My email is***@******.*** possible hep c positive

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
11/17/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Do you know what type of urine test for EtG/EtS was done?

Was it a screening test, such as an immunoassay test?

Or was it a confirmatory test, such as GC/MS?

I have not heard back about my request for information to clarify the situation.

I ask about what type of urine EtG/EtS test was done because that would make a difference in what could cause a positive result when someone has not had any alcohol intake.

A screening test, such as an immunoassay test, can have a false positive a fair amount of the time. This is not just true for EtG/EtS, as it is true for screening tests for any drug or metabolite. It is because of the nature of the test, not because someone takes something that "causes" the false positive. When a screening test is positive, then a confirmatory test is indicated to see if it is truly positive.

A confirmatory test, such as GC/MS, will not have a false positive in the true sense of the term. If the confirmatory test detects EtG or EtS, then it would truly be present. However, it is possible that other sources of alcohol can cause a sufficient amount of EtG or EtS to cause a positive result. This can include a wide variety of foods that are cooked with ingredients that contain alcohol, such as wine or beer. It can include various personal care items that contain ethanol, such as certain mouthwashes or hand sanitizers.

As for the question about FDA approval, the FDA never considers or approves any test to be a basis for incarceration. The FDA is only considering whether the test performs as expected. It is up to court systems and probation officers to decide how to use the tests. If the probation officer uses a test inappropriately, such as accepting the result of a screening test without performing a confirmatory test, then his attorney would typically be able to argue against such actions before a judge.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.