Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I think something is wrong with my smelling ability. I

Customer Question
I think something is...

I think something is wrong with my smelling ability. I constantly smell the odor of "something burning" -- that is not quite right, but I can't define it otherwise. No one else smells it. Is something wrong with my odor receptors? (Also in the past several months I have been super sensitive to the smell of "left-over meat cooking.")

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

The smell of burning has been in my nose for a couple weeks. The worst was about a week ago when I was sure my son-in-law (who was sitting next to me) had been next to a camp fire. He had not been. There is no discomfort involved. Just the odor.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

At my recent physical (mid-Oct), my glucose was elevated (108) and I do have high cholesterol and high blood pressure (I've been medicated for both of those for years). No meds regarding the high glucose. I am 63, female, and in pretty good shape.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

do you take any meds?

Atorvastatin, Paxil, Amlodepine, FloVent.

Do you have any sinus issues?

have you had any tests for it?

No sinus issues. No tests have been done.

You need an MRI of the brain

This could be an issue with the olfactory nerve

is this helpful?

I'm very sorry you are having this issue