Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Does exercise affect hemoglobin. I have been anemic for

Customer Question
Does exercise affect hemoglobin...

Does exercise affect hemoglobin. I have been anemic for years level usually 11.5 to 11.7 hemoglobin, iron and b12 levels are normal 68 years old woman. How can I bring my levels up. I will see a gastro after the holiday

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

None sometimes a little dizzy but started 65mgiron supplement feel great been taking supplement 2 days

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just asthma ,mild kidney disease stage 2, high blood pressure on , labetalol, Lisinopril, flovent, take fish oil turmeric, grapeseed extract and multi vitamin and b12

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?

A week ago had physical and found out I was anemic hbp does run in the ammily

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician and I am happy to help you. Please give me a moment to review your question.

A normal hemoglobin for women has a lower limit of 12.0, so your level is not terribly low. With normal iron and B12 levels, and presumably no symptoms of fatigue, shortness of breath, or pale appearance, your hemoglobin may be entirely normal for you. I'm assuming that the GI will be checking for sure that you have no ongoing blood loss, such as a digestive system microscopic loss in the stool.

Do you have any kidney disease?

Exercise in general is good for cardiovascular health but does not affect hemoglobin production. That is primary controlled by the bone marrow under the influence of a hormone produced by the kidneys. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

If you have no further questions, please click the button to accept the answer to conclude our interaction. I would also appreciate the kindness of a 5 star positive review. Thank you