Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

63 YR OLD DIABETIC FEMALE WHO TAKES LISINOPRIL 10MG AND

Customer Question
I AM A 63...

I AM A 63 YR OLD DIABETIC FEMALE WHO TAKES LISINOPRIL 10MG AND LANTUS 50 UNITS NIGHTLY. I WAS HAVING UTI SYPTOMS AND SINCE I WORK IN A PEDIATRICS OFFICE I DID A UA AND CULTURE. LAB SAID IT WAS ATYPICAL E-COLI AND MY DOCOTR STARTED ME ON MACROBID. THREE DAYS IN AND I WAS STILL HURTING SO A UA AND CULTURE WAS DONE AGAIN. FOUND OUT THAT IT WAS KLEBSEIELLA . MY DOCOTR CALLED IN CIPRO BECAUSE SHE WAS LEAVING TOWN. CULTURE SHOWS SENSITIVE TO SUPRAX BUT SINCE WE ARE A PEDIATRIC OFFICE WE DON'T TEST FOR CIPRO. THERE SEEMS TO BE ALOT OF WARNINGS FOR CIPRO INCLUDING TENDINITIS. I CURRENTLY HAVE A TORN MENISCUS SO I AM NOT SURE IF I SHOULD TAKE, ANYWAY, I AM ALLERGIC TO SULFUR SO AT THIS POINT SHOULD I TAKE SUORAX WHICH I KNOW IS SENSITIVE OR CIPRO. I HAVE GOTTEN MANY DIFFERENT OPINIONS SO I WANT SOMEONE OUTSIDES OPINION.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** and I am a board-certified pediatrician. I see many adolescents and young adults in similar situations as yours. I would be happy to help you. May I proceed or would you prefer I opt out for another physician?

I WOULD LIKE A UROLOGIST

Ok, I will opt out then. Have a nice day.

Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

UTI is dealt by Internists not Urologists generally.

Would you like me to answer you in this regard?

I didn't receive any reply, therefore I am posting an answer for you.

Both Suprax and Ciprofloxacin and good; and either of them can be used for treatment of uncomplicated UTI's as initial therapy.

I believe that if the bug in your urine has shown sensitivity to Suprax, its will also be sensitive to Cipro as well.

Now vital question, which one you should take.

I think either of them can be used; however since you have a clear documented evidence regarding sensitivity of Suprax; it is logical to start taking it.

Though I believe that Cipro will also work, but I can not be 100% sure; but for Suprax I would recommend it with certainty and confidently based upon culture result.

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.