Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Last Saturday I had a "panic attack." That is what was told…

Customer Question
Last Saturday I had...

Last Saturday I had a "panic attack." That is what was told to me by the ER doctor. But I am not satisfied with that answer. I was in my kitchen cleaning and I tried to say something and could not speak and noticed that I was unable to read words on my phone, the TV etc.....I obviously freaked out. It ended as quickly as it began and my husband took me to ER and they said panic attack. I have spent all week in pure misery thinking it was a mini stroke or something far more serious than a panic attack.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

I have had attacks for several years now but never one this extreme. I also had a very bad migraine the next day so I do not know if there is a connection there or not.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No not really just severe anxiety, panic attacks and migraines. I am just really scared because I was unaware that a panic attack could cause you to lose the inability to speak and read.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/17/2017
Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today.

I'm sorry you were diagnosed with a "Panic Attack."

I am not satisfied with that answer either. Please tell me your age, all medications that you take and whether you had any headache, visual disturbance or other changes prior to your loss of speech.

I had been taking Lexapro for sometime and decided to slowly take myself off of that. After being off of it for about 3 weeks this is when it happened. I literally was cleaning my kitchen and tried to say on of my daughters names and it would not come out right. I grabbed my phone to call my husband {because I assumed a panic attack was happening} and I noticed that I could not read the words on my phone. I knew they were there but I could not comprehend what they were. This lasted just a few minutes. I had the normal heart racing, upset stomach symptoms that I normally have with a panic attack along with this. I am 28 and just take a multivitamin, hair skin and nail vitamins, Ativan as needed and now Paxil as of last Saturday. I did end up having a terrible migraine the day after this spell and am curious if there is any connection.