Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just received a diagnosis from my dermatologist that I…

Customer Question
I just received a...

I just received a diagnosis from my dermatologist that I have squamos skin cancer. What is treatment?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

I haven't as of yet

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nope that's it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/17/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

The treatment of squamous cell carcinoma depends on the size of the lesion.

If it is less than 5mm then it can be treated with application of 5FU which is a anticancer agent in the form of a cream, that usually takes care of it.

If it is up to 9 mm then it can be excised with a 5 mm margin of normal skin around it. If it is 10 mm or more then it should be excised with a margin of 10 mm margin of normal skin around it.

Excision of the lesion alone has high cure rates and further treatment is decided only after a thorough clinical examination, history and a histopathology report of the excised lesion is available.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.