Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've been smoking for 2 years I'm 18 now, I smoke 2-3

Customer Question
I've been smoking for...

I've been smoking for 2 years I'm 18 now, I smoke 2-3 cigarettes a day, recently I stopped for 3 days and my throat had gotten sore and I had spit out brown phlegm with blood streaks, I smoked one today and I felt like gagging and I kept yawning, and I feel like something is stuck in the bottom of my throat, please help

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?

I stopped for 3 days as I left town with family and I smoked one today and yesterday I've never had these reactions before my symptoms have been there for about 3-4 days and no fever

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing else I go to the gym every day after a cigarette and I don't feel any fatigue but I do get allergies very often

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/17/2017
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

It appears that you are having a viral infection of the throat and upper respiratory tract or this could be the beginning of bronchial (airway) inflammation which can occur after months of smoking. If this is due to a viral infection then these symptoms will resolve in a week. You should drink plenty of water and do salt water gargling to relieve a sore throat and assist in healing. If the cause is due to a complication of smoking then by discontinuing smoking for a month or more your symptoms will gradually reduce. So, you should continue to not smoke like you have been doing for 3 days and you will prevent many diseases due to smoking from occurring. The airway will also heal after a continued absence of irritation from smoke.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Are you sure it isn't anything more serious like cancer
my ears always pop after or while I'm smoking

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

I am very sure that this will disappear in a week and is due to a benign and harmless cause. Cancer will not occur so soon due to smoking and takes many years to develop. By discontinuing smoking you will reduce your risk of cancer. Your present symptoms are not due to cancer. These are commonly seen in smokers and are due to irritation of the airway glands.

Take care.

Thank you!

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Did I answer your question? Please reply.
Thank you.

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor