Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Do skin pores get infected? Six to eight months and no

Customer Question
Do skin pores get...

Do skin pores get infected ?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

Six to eight months and no changes with nails except for toe nails fungus which I'm told is due to diabetes (Type 2)

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

1. Stroke about 8 years ago.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/17/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually skin pores CAN get infected by bacteria or even fungi. If the pores get blocked then it can lead to development of a pimple and infact a pimple can be an infection caused by bacteria. The term folliculitis which is infection of the skin pore and the hair follicle also refers to an infection of the skin pore as well.

So to simply answer your question, YES skin pores can get infected by bacteria getting into the pore and releasing infective material which forms either a pimple or even an abscess in severe cases.

In most situations this can be treated with simple OTC neosporin however in some cases oral antibiotics may be required like oral doxycycline.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/