Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am 26 year old athlete and I am having a scare I feel I am

Hello, I am 26 year...
Hello, I am 26 year old athlete and I am having a scare I feel I am over reacting about but want to have peace of mind. I'm a 6'5 295 pound football player. I am very active throughout the day and consume a lot of sodium. I purchased a potassium supplement after reading about the sodium to potassium ratio. I took more potassium today than normal and I was falling asleep and felt a weird sensation throughout my body. A sudden shock almost, which went away. I took extra potassium tablets today due to how much sodium I had. I took about id guess 9-12 potassium tablets which are 99mg each from 6 pm- 12 am. I feel I'm still under my limit and should be fine, but live alone and afraid to go to sleep in case something would happen or change. The last time I took it was one tablet about 2 hours ago. What would your concerns be after hearing my situation? I'm not messing around with potassium anymore after this.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I have drank a large amount of water and ate more food with sodium after realizing I may have taken too much. It was not smart of me to do this but I want to know how long I have to wait to know I'm in the clear and don't need to worry about going to get medical attention.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/17/2017
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you are having concerns related to the amount of potassium you have ingested. I am very familiar with this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First I need to ask few questions so that I can gather more information related to your health concerns;

1) Please tell me how are you feeling now? Are you overall stable?

2) Are you having any severe chest pain, difficulty with breathing, palpitation (feelings of having rapid, fluttering or pounding heart beats), or skipping heart beats etc?

3) How many hours ago was the last dose of potassium?

Kindly reply,

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
1) I feel stable however about 3 hours ago I felt a weird shock/ flutter when trying to fall asleep. I have been drinking a lot of water and have been urinating a lot. I went to pass a stole and did so and after passing a solid stool I then passed some more liquid stool. This just happened a few minutes ago. But I hadn't gone all day before that.2) I had some chest warming, which I have had before when taking potassium. I have been monitoring my heart rate and it's between 60-72 bpm. Which is normal for me. Still feel a slight warm sensation in my chest but nothing crazy besides that as of now.3) Its been about 4 hours since my last dose and I only had 1 pill of 99mg. After I realized I shouldn't of done that I ate a piece of ham to get my sodium up. Before my last dose I had about 400 mg a few hours prior.I just want to make sure I can try to go to sleep and how many hours It will take for me to be in the clear. I have access to a sauna to sweat it out more if that would help. I'm not messing around with potassium pills anymore after this. I appretiate your help.Sean

Okay I see. I appreciate Sean for all these additional information. I am preparing & typing my answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready. Typing may take few minutes and I will follow up with you and post my answer here the moment I finish with the typing.

Best Regards!

I am almost done with my typing; I will follow up with you very soon.

Best Regards!

Okay I am ready; I am posting my answer here;

First of all please see the RDA (recommended daily allowance) for potassium is about 4.7 gm (= 4700 mg)/day which is = to about 60 meq/day

The above value includes all sources (dietary, supplements etc)

The potassium citrate comes as 99 mg per capsule preparation

Each capsule actually contains 99 mg potassium

If we round it, so about 100 mg per capsule, so theoretically one can take up to about 47 capsules per day

Of course the above number is ***** because we all get lot of potassium through diet too so that many number of capsules can result in overdosing/toxicity

The standard recommendation by the company who manufacture the 99 mg preparation is to take 1 capsule, one time to five times per day

So they recommend up to 5 capsules per day which is about 500 mg of potassium

This is still far away from the RDA which is about 4700 mg per day

So even if you have taken up to 12 capsule, as you have mentioned above, it is still not considered as a toxic dose

Of course it also depends on what is your usual daily dietary intake of potassium and what was your blood level of potassium before you had taken these many doses, but overall for a healthy adult and for your body weight 12 capsules = about 1200 mg of potassium in a day is unlikely to result in toxicity

And also you are not having any major or obvious symptoms suspicious for potassium toxicity. The initial of weird shock/flutter has not happened again and you have some minor symptoms such as warming feeling in the chest, some loose stools etc, and these are just some minor side effects related to potassium and there is no evidence for anything serious including heart related side effects etc

And you are also doing the right thing of drinking lot of water and this can help with expelling out potassium from the body faster

And I see the last dose was about 4 hours back, and please see if you are going to develop side effects with potassium it should have manifested already. By this time all or most of the potassium must have been already absorbed, so if you are not having any issues so far then it is unlikely you will have any issues later too.

In the future please try to avoid taking more than what the company recommends on their bottle, or alternatively you may consult a nutritionist and get an exact estimation of how much potassium you get daily through the diet, and another thing that can be done to decide how much potassium you need is by doing the blood test and checking the blood potassium level, but if you are not having these information then it is better to restrict the daily dose to what the manufacturer has recommended.

Once again I reassure you, since about 4 hours passed already after the last done, and also considering the total dose you have taken is not in the overdose or toxic range so there should not be any concerns now, and you are already out of danger too. You may continue with drinking water for now, and try to take as much rest as possible, but you are certainly out of danger already now, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)