Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just got a letter from my doctor who said my labs

I just got a...

I just got a letter from my doctor who said my labs indicated my hemoglobin was low possible due to iron deficiency and start feosol and vitamin c and follow up in 4 to 6 weeks with primary to recheck what’s this about

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

If you read what I said the doctor took labs and sent this to me. He’s a diagnostic rheumatoid dr and take labs all the time

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No he always putting me on 50000 mil of vitamin c. Not this time. The hemoglobin. Was diagnosed fibromyalgia yrs ago and osteopenia

11/17/2017
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. We routinely start Feosol (iron supplement) when a patient has a low hemoglobin. The Feosol boosts the iron level which in turn stimulates production of hemoglobin (blood cells). It seems reasonable to recheck in a few weeks to make sure it's getting better. What other Qs do you have for me?

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD
That is just what the dr said to take and vitamin c which I do but been out of it! I was surprised my vitamin d was ok and my iron was down! I have been on a fast for 17 days 2 months ago stressed for my daughter with breast cancer triple negative. So I haven’t been eating as I should I have to admit but I will start the feosol and get more vitamin c actually I was on 1000mg with probiotic included
Thank you. Very much you gave me some peace of mind

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter.

Definitely diet can play a role in your iron level and hemoglobin level. We call that "dietary iron deficiency" and it can be remedied by taking the iron supplementation. As time goes on and your diet starts to improve, you may never need to take iron again if you can keep your levels up by getting enough in your diet.

Good luck to you both. Hang in there!