Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

From 68 year old healthy woman: Just "got" a bladder

Customer Question
From 68 year old...

From 68 year old healthy woman: Just "got" a bladder infection suddenly out of the blue. Have not had one in almost 20 years. This one came on very strong with blood increasing a lot a few hours later. The blood was more than just a pink color in the urine. The toilet bowl was very red and I saw some coagulated blood. Experiencing lots of pain and very frequent urination. ~ every 10 min. Finally able to take an antibiotic at 3 pm. It is NITROFURANTON -MONO- MCR 100 MG. 5 day course. 2x a day. Given to me by a nurse-practioner/obgyn office. My internist prescribed AZITHROMYCIN 250 mg 1x a day for 5 days. 2 questions: Which antibiotic is best and should I have myself checked by a specialist ~ WHO~ and which antibiotic should I take? I would be feeling more Ok if I had not seen so much "red" in the toilet. Thanks for your input. most sincerely, Lalla

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take a lot of supplements like a multi , Omega 3. Bio-identical hormones. Not allergic, but it is a big deal fro me to take antibiotics, as it really messes up my gut and then often I get sick later. So, I would only consider antibiotics when in dire need. This seems to be that kind of situation.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had for maybe 10 years a very low white blood cell count . now 2.5

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/17/2017
Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified MD replied 5 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Nitrofurantoin is a firstline treatment for UTIs. The azithromycin may pack more of a punch than what you need and can be rougher on the stomach, so I'd stick with the nitrofurantoin.

If your symptoms continue, you may need a different antibiotic, but for now finish out this course.

I would also recommend that if you keep bleeding, let your obgyn take a look at you. First and foremost we need to verify that the bleeding was coming from the bladder for sure (and not say the rectum or the vagina).

Thanks. Will keep going and hope to notice less blood tomorrow. Is it within the "normal" range of things to have this much blood with a bladder infection?

Your amount of bleeding sounds heavier than what I'd expect with just a UTI. Give it a day or two and if you're still bleeding, please make an appointment with your obgyn so they can check you out.

OK

Just checking in on you to see how you're doing today now that you've gotten some antibiotic. How's the bleeding?

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD