Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I started taking one fish oil omega 3 about 2 weeks ago. I

I started taking one fish oil omega 3 about 2 weeks ago. I starting taking this week vit k2. Is it true fish oil thins rhe blood and vit k2 coagulate blood? Should i be taking both?
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: I was dx with ostepenia and have elevated cholostrol. They also have me on 50,000 vit d. Since i was liw on vit d
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I take thyriod med 135 mg or mcg? Total hysterctomy last year. And i have gallstones no surgery. 2005 thyriod cancer. Started taking supplments for ostepinia. Not drugs. Wont do ANY osteporosis drugs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reason for vit k2. I heard it helps with vit d and calcium. Calcium NOT settling in heart, joints or muscle. But directs it to the bones.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 47

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Both the above statements regarding Vitamin K and fish oil omega 3 are true however, not entirely. They both assist in these functions and do not interfere with each other.

Vitamin K helps in the synthesis of certain coagulation factors essential to blood coagulation however, it does not initiate coagulation nor does it make the blood thick or prone to thromboembolism.

Omega 3 fatty acids do not thin the blood but merely prevent plaque and cholesterol from depositing in the arteries.

So, you can take both of these supplements together if you wish to.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

I am so glad I could help.

Please remember to rate the answer.

Take good care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more question. Is it true vit k2 removes or guide's calcium or vit d away from the heart/muscle and sends it to the bones?

Yes, vitamin K has a defined role along with vitamin D and calcium for building bones and driving the calcium towards bones from the circulation through complex chemical reactions. All these have synergistic actions to improve bone health.

Best wishes.