Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband just had a upper GI the findings were normal

Customer Question
My husband just had...

My husband just had a upper GI the findings were normal disrention of the esophagus normal esophagogastric junction no histamine hernia so residual barium in portions of the colon from ingestion 2 days ago the stomach, duodenal bulb, and duodenal sweep have normal appearance image 6 and 13 show contrast within esophagus after drinking had completed based on fluoroscopic evaluation this did not appear to be secondary to reflux, but rather secondary to poor peristaltic waves and incomplete clearance of contrast impression is some decrease in mid and distal peristaltic activity

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

What does this mean

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No vomiting or nausea been struggling with acid reflux for a month

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
11/17/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 9 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What are your husband's symptoms?

I just saw your other thread. You need to stay on this thread.

You mentioned that you have difficulty in swallowing solids.

Your upper GI endoscopy does not show anything significant except that there is lack of movements in the lower esophagus. This can be due to Achalasia cardia.

Following investigations are usually done for the further assessment;

1) Videofluoroscopic swallowing study (VFSS); it uses the different consistency of the barium and allowing for evaluation of the effect of different maneuvers in preventing aspiration
2) Fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing (FEES).
3) Ultrasonography is used to evaluate soft-tissue dynamics.
4) Scintigraphic examination; The advantage of this test is that it can be used in the quantification of aspiration, the identification of the silent aspiration of saliva.

A biopsy of the lower esophagus also may be needed to see if the nerves are absent which are responsible for the lack of peristalsis in Achalasia cardia.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl