Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Both legs sometimes gets numb and can't walk right and have

Both legs sometimes gets numb...
Both legs sometimes gets numb and can't walk right and have to sat down, after about 5 minutes I can walk okay again. What's cause this, it only bring for a few days?
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)? Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm type 2 diabete , and my left knee was replace three years ago , my right leg was reconstructed seventeen years ago. I have high blood pressure but it's under control.
JA: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?
Customer: I see my primary doctor every 3-6 months, and high blood pressure do runs in the family.
11/17/2017
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear you have been having numbness as you have described above. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First I need to ask few questions so that I can gather more information related to your health concerns and I will follow up with you and post my questions here ASAP. I am typing the questions now and I will follow up with you as soon as I am ready with my questions.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Kindly answer to these questions, this will help me in gathering additional information related to your health concerns;

1) Are there any additional symptoms such as weakness of leg muscles, or any lower back pain, pain in the legs etc?

2) Does the numbness happen only while walking or can it happen other times too? How is the sensation in the legs, is it normal or does it appear decreased?

3) How is the diabetes control recently?

4) What are your current treatments (including prescription medications or non-prescription/over the counter medications or herbal/supplements, or non-medication treatments etc)?

5) Are there any other already diagnosed medical health conditions such as thyroid, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, or any other?

Kindly reply

Best Regards!

Hi, have you received the questions I have posted above? I hope you are not encountering any technical glitches to reply to me. If you require more time it is perfectly fine and I will wait here. Kindly try to reply to the above questions when you can, and I can certainly help you with your health concerns you have mentioned above.

Best Regards!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Dr. I'm in process of answer your question.
1. No there isn't any additional symptoms, just sometimes when standing, and wearing shoes, and not tennis shoes.
2. The numbness mostly standing and I lose my balance when trying to step off to walk. The sensation last just a few minutes, until I sat down for a few minutes. It's very now and then.
3. I had some high blood sugars, because of some meds I'm taking. Here reasonally blood are back to normal.
4. I'm taking y normal blood pressure and my insult at the prescribed times.
5. I'm taking meds for high cholesterolI'm 65 and exercise 3 times a week at less

Okay I see. I appreciate for all these additional information. I am preparing & typing my answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready. Typing may take few minutes and I will follow up with you and post my answer here the moment I finish with the typing.

Best Regards!

I am almost done with my typing; I will follow up with you very soon.

Best Regards!

Okay I am ready; I am posting my answer here;

Please see the types of symptoms you have been having in the form of numbness in the legs & the balance issues themselves are not diagnostic for any particular single health condition. Rather there could be multiple underlying health conditions that can cause similar types of symptoms you have been having, and I will provide you below with a list of such conditions;

This is a list of various underlying health conditions that can cause the types of symptoms you have been having;

Vitamin deficiencies (Vitamin B12, Vitamin B9/Folate, Vitamin D, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6 deficiencies)

Endocrine disorders such as thyroid gland dysfunctions

Arthritis in the spine

Disc problems in the spine

Spinal stenosis

Pinched spinal nerves

Sciatica or sciatic neuropathy

Peripheral neuropathy (primary peripheral nerve related diseases)

Entrapment neuropathies/ Neuralgias

Circulation problems/poor circulation in the legs

Inflammatory conditions/autoimmune connective tissue disorders

Exposure to heavy metals etc

Please see I am not telling all these above health conditions are applicable in your case, I am mainly trying to provide you with a list of various possibilities based on what we see in our clinical practice to explain these types of new symptoms you have been having.

As you see above there are several possibilities and this needs to be further evaluated and investigated to find out the precise cause for this numbness in the legs & the balance problems. In this regard please try to see a neurologist, so that you can receive a thorough neurological examination in the clinic followed by certain relevant neurological investigations too that may include one or more of the following investigations;

MRI Scan of the spine (especially the lower spine, also called as lumbosacral spine areas)

EMG/Nerve conduction test of the legs (a nerve & muscle test)

Circulation studies of the legs such as Doppler Ultrasound of the legs

Blood tests such as the following ones;

Comprehensive metabolic panel (general medical & metabolic tests)

Vitamin B12, Folic acid, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B1, Vitamin D (Vitamin deficiency tests)

TSH, T3, T4 (thyroid tests)

ESR, CRP, ANA, dsDNA, Rheumatoid factor, SSA, SSB, serum complement assay etc (autoimmune disorders tests)

Heavy metal screening etc

The above mentioned are the various investigations that are usually required and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results. Please see I am not telling all the above mentioned investigations are required or are applicable in your case. After a thorough examination in the clinic the Neurologist will be in a position to decide which of the above investigations are required in your case.

In the meantime you may try one or more of the following symptomatic treatments that can help you with getting relief from the symptoms you have been having;

A) General measures or self-care measures or home remedies such as the following;

Adequate rest

Sufficient sleep

Adequate fluid intake

Nutritious diet

Daily exercises etc

B) More specific treatments include one or more of the following;

One of the nerve-pain pills such as Pregabalin, or Gabapentin to help with the numb feeling in the legs

A course of physical therapy to help with the leg symptoms including the balance issues

C) And certain additional treatments to help with the leg symptoms such as the following;

Ultrasound therapy

Laser therapy (Cold laser therapy)

TENS (Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation) etc

The above are the various treatment options to consider, but please see I am not telling all these above mentioned treatments are required in your case; mainly I am trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you are familiar with various treatment options that are available for your condition and you may try to use them as necessary. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the treatment options which you may have not yet tried.

In addition to the above, you may also try certain nutritional supplements such as the following ones;

Methyl Guard Plus (which is a combination of active forms of vitamin b12, vitamin b9/folate, vitamin b6, vitamin b2)

ALA (Alpha lipoic acid)

Acetyl L Carnitine

Coenzyme Q10 etc

These above mentioned nutritional supplements too can help in getting relief from the symptoms you are having, and also assist you with faster recovery too.

To summarize once again;

1) Please see there are many possibilities that can cause the type of new symptoms you have been having - as mentioned earlier above

2) A thorough neurological examination in the clinic by a neurologist, followed by undergoing certain relevant investigations as mentioned above can help us in finding out the precise cause for these new symptoms and then treated appropriately

3) In the meantime you may try the treatments mentioned above and these can help in providing relief from the symptoms you have been experiencing, as well as help with faster recovery too

4) And also very importantly, please also see this type of health condition can be diagnosed and successfully treated, so please not to be scared or not to lose hopes, please try to see a neurologist asap and try to undergo a thorough neurological examination & neurological investigations as discussed above for the best results. An early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for quick and complete cure so please try to see a neurologist as soon as possible.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss this health situation further? Please let me know.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thanks for the information, I have a primary doctor and I will share this information with him. Again thanks

Hi, You are very welcome! And I am sorry I could not reply earlier since I was away from the computer and just returned.

Yes I fully concur with this management plan, please share the above information with your primary doctor and to please go from there.

The symptoms you have mentioned above appear secondary to some treatable/curable illness so please not to be scared, and as mentioned earlier too - an early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for quick & complete cure, so please try to talk to your primary doctor as soon as possible.

Once again wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

And please do not forget to take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)