Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a reddish tongue in the middle and bleeds when I suck…

Customer Question
I have a reddish...

I have a reddish tongue in the middle and bleeds when I suck it

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

None just the above

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was a smoker and just switched to IQOS

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hello, Scott. A reddish tongue that bleeds may indicate glossitis or stomatitis from a viral infection (eg herpes) or a fungal infection (eg thrush). Rarely, vascular malformation or cancer can cause this.

Also, consider that the disposable tobacco stick used in iQOS is dipped in propylene glycol before inserting into the holder. You could be experiencing a reaction to this. The smoke that is released contains nicotine and other chemicals which could also be having a direct effect on the tongue, resulting in a low grade inflammation and vascular friability.

A viral infection might bother you for a couple weeks, but should get better on its own if you are in good health otherwise. Thrush would likely need to be treated with an oral antifungal rinse (eg. nystatin) and would be expected to go away within days to weeks. You might try going off the iQOS for a week or so to see if this begins to clear. If not, a visit to your GP to investigate would definitely be warranted.

I go off IQOS? Get some nystatin and stay on IQOS. Or stick it out because the reason I chose to stop smoking real cigarettes is to get off them eventually.I'm confused!!
Also IQOS has, as stated in clinical trails up to 90% less chemicals than normal cigarettes and I was an avid smoker before and suffered no such reaction
It is in the center of my tongue, dark reddish patch, does not hurt but when I suck it I get blood in my spit.

I can't diagnose you without an actual examination and work up. These are suggestions and general information. If you feel this problem started within a couple weeks of starting the iQOS, it is likely the culprit. If it has been longer than that and it was not bothering you before, it is more likely something else. Thrush often creates a whitish plaque or film on the tongue. Absent that, a viral infection is more likely. I would suggest you avoid all chemical exposures in an effort to give the tongue rest and allow for resolution of the inflammation. If you need to go back on cigs due to withdrawal symptoms, and they never bothered your tongue before, this would not be unreasonable, though it could delay the healing process a few more days.

I will send you a picture if that is helpful

That might help. You should be able to upload it to this site.

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor