Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Question.....the line above my girlfriend's test show

Customer Question
Question.....the line above my...

Question.....the line above my girlfriend's test show "hepatitis B surface antigen ...Negative...Negative. Below it says hepatitis B surface antibody....3.3....Immunity>9.9. Does this means she's tested positive?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No symptoms

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She is a diabetic

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

No it doesn't mean she is tested positive.

When we vaccinate people against hepatitis B infection, the effect of vaccine (and hence immunity against acquiring hepatitis B infection) is measured by checking the antibodies levels in the blood (Hepatitis B surface Antibody).

If a person has Hepatitis B surface antibody levels of >10miu; it means his/her immune system is adequately prepared to prevent him from acquiring hepatitis B infection.

Numbers less than the reference means the immunity is not sufficient and may be the patient needs to repeat the vaccination for hepatitis B.

I hope this clarifies and answers your query.

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.