Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Sorry I didn't know 'Enter' sends the message instantly. Two…

Customer Question
Sorry I didn't know...

Sorry I didn't know 'Enter' sends the message instantly. Two days ago, I started getting a sore throat and a runny nose with clear, watery mucus so I'd say I have a cold or the flu. I have a function on tomorrow night and don't know if I would be contagious to other people. One of the people who will be attending is 7 months pregnant and I'm not sure if it would put her and her unborn baby at risk of getting these symptoms. Would it be wise to attend?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?

I have had these symptoms for two days. I don't think I have a fever. I feel relatively normal with the exception of the sore throat and runny nose.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not anything that I think is related. I do have asthma.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. From your description it does sound like that you may have developed a viral illness which is causing the sore throat and runny nose. As with most viral illnesses, it is self limiting and it would usually settle down with a period of 7-10 days.

Now regarding you infecting other people, it is certainly possible at the moment because most upper respiratory viruses can spread via respiratory droplets which means that you can transfer the virus by coughing, sneezing near others. It can also be spread via contact, for example if you have contaminated your hands wiping your nose etc then you can spread the virus to others when you touch them. This would usually last as long as you have a runny nose or are coughing etc.

You can take precautions by wearing a mask if you do decide to go to the function tomorrow night and also by carrying hand sanitizer with you, you can clean your hands before interacting with anyone.

So in short, you can attend but you will have to take extra precautions but even then there is still a minor chance that you can infect others. I would recommend resting as much as possible as that will lead to you getting better in a more rapid manner and also would prevent transmission of the virus to others.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor