Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Had my thyroid checked this morning tshl level was5.73 is…

Had my thyroid checked this...
Had my thyroid checked this morning tshl level was5.73 is this high enough to go on medication
11/16/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your test results. Actually a level of 5.73 is quite high and if you are also having symptoms along with this high TSH such as weight gain, fatigue, weakness, swollen feet, coarse skin, hair loss among others then YES it should be treated with initiation of medications like synthroid or armour thyroid. However at the same time you should also be worked up with further tests to determine the underlying cause which can include free T3 and T4 levels along with thyroid antibodies as well.

So with this level of TSH, it would indicate that your thyroid gland is not working properly and you would be labelled as a case of hypothyroidism. The TSH is released from the pituitary gland in the brain, the TSH is actually a signal by the brain TO the thyroid to produce thyroid hormones. So when the thyroid is damaged and it is NOT releasing enough thyroid hormones, the brain steps up its production of TSH to try and get it to work.

But in short the answer to your question is YES, you should be treated for hypothyroidism ESPECIALLY if you have symptoms. If you DONT have symptoms then you would be labelled as having subclinical hypothyroidism and in that situation the approach varies accoding to each physician, some prefer to treat you while others would prefer a wait and watch approach.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor