Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had this terrible cough and stuffed head for over a…

Customer Question
I have had this...

I have had this terrible cough and stuffed head for over a week. I can't smell or taste anything. The mucus is less now but still there. I am not having a breathing problem but when I cough sometimes it just won't stop until a bit of mucus comes up.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

Over a week and no other symptons.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Other than high blood pressure - no.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2017
Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

The symptoms you have described of terrible cough & stuffed head for over a week is most likely due to bacterial upper respiratory tract infection.This does not seem to be due to viral infection.Symptoms caused by a viral infection generally clears up on its own within 4-7 days with no complications.As it has been going on since 7 days & also considering the symptoms,it seems likely to be bacterial infection.

Antibiotics are drug of choice to cure this infection.

Following is recommended for you now:

· Inhaling humidified air promotes moisture of the upper airway, helping to clear secretions and exudate.Keep a humidifier running in your room.

· Use an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day.This will provide you dramatic relief.

Dry coughs are treated with cough suppressants also called antitussives. Dextromethorphan, Diphenhydramine,codeine are the common one.these are available by prescription of your doctor

Ans you need to get prescribed with antibiotics to cure this.

So my best advise for you is to please make an appointment with your doctor to have the tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment with antibiotics & other medications will be done accordingly.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh