Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How do I take care of the freezer burn I was freezing some…

How do I take care...
How do I take care of the freezer burn I was freezing some moles off my face with liquid nitrogen and I I noticed that my skin is peeling
11/16/2017
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** and I am a board-certified pediatrician. I perform liquid nitrogen spray skin lesion removals routinely on many children, adolescents and young adults. I would be happy to help you. May I proceed or would you prefer I opt out for another physician?

No you can help me
It’s draining also

Thank you, ***** ***** what I can see in the picture you attached, it appears there is some redness, water blistering and skin peeling from the sites that you used the liquid nitrogen on. This is normal after treatment with liquid nitrogen, or cryosurgery. Essentially, you are inducing controlled frostbite on the skin tissue you are trying to eliminate. As long as the "draining" you are describing is clear, watery fluid and not blood or pus, this too can be normal. There isn't too much extra aftercare to do, other than keeping the involved skin area clean to avoid infection. You can gently cleanse the area with hydrogen peroxide and apply a little over the counter antibiotic ointment, such as bacitracin, 2x per day for a few days to promote healing. Otherwise, it's watchful waiting as your body heals itself.

Can I answer any other questions for you today?

Is that the same as Neosporin

Bacitracin is different that Neosporin, but you can use Neosporin as well, as long as it does not cause any irritation of your skin the way it can for some people. Can I help with anything else?

If you have no further questions, please click the button to accept the answer to conclude our interaction. I would also appreciate the kindness of a 5 star positive review. Thank you.
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD