Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What are the chances of having a baby with down syndrome im…

Customer Question
What are the chances...

What are the chances of having a baby with down syndrome im 19 and the blood test my mother took was inaccurate so I really don't want to take that test and be worried my whole preg***** *****ke she was

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

A blood test to see if there is chance foe a downs baby

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No im healthy

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
11/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Actually the chances of you having a baby with downs syndrome at the age of 19 are extremely low. The chances are 1 in 150 which comes to a chance of less than 1%. Usually we dont see patients at the age of 19 give birth to babies with down syndrome. Secondly we can screen for downs syndrome and other abnormalities by doing amniocentesis or chorionic villus sampling after 16-20 weeks of the pregnancy. This gives us AN ACCURATE answer regarding the presence or absence of downs syndrome in the baby. A blood test is inaccurate however the tests that i have mentioned are more accurate.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/