Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been taking Percocet for at least 5 yrs. Not

Customer Question
I have been taking...

I have been taking Percocet for at least 5 yrs. Not prerscribed. Feeling terrible. Can it be caused by opiod dependance?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Loss of appetite,weight loss,joint pain

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I have fibromyalgia but these pains are new and I have been trying to take less pills every day.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No Yes I am taking 120mg of Cymbalta and 2 1mg of xanax daily as prescribed

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can you tell me how much weight have you lost and in how much time? Also are you still taking percocet or did you miss a few days of the drug recently? Lastly do all the joints hurt or just specific ones and what is your age and gender?

I lost 30lbs. within a few months. Yes I am still taking percocet but have cut down by 5mgs a day.My knees and hands hurt the most. I am a female age 63. Date of birth is 2/24/54

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

Weight loss of 30 lbs in a few months is something which should be investigated especially if the weight loss occurred in 3 months or less. The weight loss can be due to a endocrine process such as a thyroid disorder. This can cause weight loss as well as bodyaches along with various other symptoms. A simple clinical examination and a thyroid function test would be enough to diagnose the problem. Similarly adrenal insufficiency can cause this sort of weight loss and the joint pains as well. A serum cortisol level along with a short synacthen test would be diagnostic in that case.

Now percocet would not cause these sort of symptoms provided you were taking it consistently, usually you would have a problem if you went off the drug suddenly which would lead to opioid withdrawal effects. If that did not happen then using the drug over time may decrease its efficacy however it wont cause these symptoms.

One thing that could be the cause is that you could have developed arthritis in the hands and the knees which is causing the pain. Some forms of arthritis can also cause weight loss especially if they are autoimmune in nature. This would be diagnosed with the help of xrays of the hands and the knees and blood tests like ESR, RA factor, ANA, ENA profile and a anti CCP antibodies.

SO in short i would recommend that you visit your doctor and get these things looked into, percocet alone would not cause these symptoms.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor