Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband takes 40 mg oxycontin 2x daily and has been

Customer Question
My husband takes 40...

My husband takes 40 mg oxycontin 2x daily and has been taking it for years. It doesn't show up in his blood or urine tests. Dr is doubting that he actually takes the medication. What other type can be done to prove he does take it. There is no doubt that he does take it every day. He cannot function without it because of severe chronic pain so I am certain the blood and urine tests just aren't picking it up. What can we do?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Yes, this is very time sensitive. they have done blood tests and uring tests and they both came back negative. The test results are wrong. HE IS TAKING HIS MEDICATION.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He takes multiple medications for multiple conditions, diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, Enbrel for RA, medication for depression due to chronic pain, medication for IBS, Oxycodone (10 mg) for break through pain and his pain management doctor has a list of all his medications and he says that his other medications are not affecting his test results. We are at our wits end. He needs this pain medication and he is taking it. No matter what the tests are saying, they are wrong.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2017
Doctor: Dr.Sawhney, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Thanks for you question.
I understand that you have been waiting for long to get an answer to your question.
I just came online and saw that your question is lying unanswered and I am answering it as soon as possible.
You may consider getting a test known as mass spectrometry gas chromatography.
This is a much more sensitive test compared to the urine screen which is commonly used.
This test Looks for Molecular signatures of any substance present in the sample and would detect even very low concentrations of the substance being tested for.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment to honour I work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.
You can continue the conversation even after you have rated.