Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question concerning stomach issues. I have gone to…

Customer Question
I have a question concerning...
I have a question concerning stomach issues. I have gone to have a endoscopy and colonoscopy done at the same time. They found bacteria in my gut and put me on the antibiotic. They didn't say anything about the pouches I had several years before but not sure if that goes away or stays and then I have a hiatal hernia. Anyway I have issues when I eat something at different times, the urge to go to the bathroom hits with no notice and I better not be more than 10 steps from a bathroom. Also when I have these bouts of diarrhea my tummy craps so bad it's crazy and my face will turn very red like I'm having a hot flashes it's crazy, this may go on for two days then the next day I may be kinda constipated. Not sure what to do
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 5 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

Since how long are your symptoms of cramps, red face and diarrhea?

Were you diagnosed recently as bacterial overgrowth syndrome for which antibiotics have started?

When was your diverticulosis diagnosed (pouches)?

I'm 45, female. Was diagnosed with the diverticulosis pouches 4 years ago. Had the endoscopy and colonoscopy about 8 months ago. The face turning red has been going on for about 6 months ago along with the cramps getting worse and the diarrhea hitting with no warning. I have not made it to the bathroom 5 times now and it's getting rather embarrassing. Most the times I have been lucky being around family and once in the middle of the store when it hit and I was not able to make it....help please

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

I would consider Carcinoid syndrome for your sudden bout of diarrhea with the other symptoms. This can be benign tumor, so do not get worried. There are specific investigations for them. Levels of urinary 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA) are usually greatly increased, so a 24 hour estimation would be required. Foods that contain high levels of 5-HIAA precursor and should be excluded from the diet for at least 24 hours before the test include include avocados, bananas, plums, walnuts, pineapples, tomatoes, and eggplants.

You would also require;

Positron emission tomogrpahy

MRI or CT scan of abdomen

Radionuclide scan of intestines.

These will give you the diagnosis.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor