Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, including surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have hx of bowel obstruction. I was away last week and my

Customer Question

I have hx of bowel obstruction. I was away last week and my bowels were off. When I got home I became constipated. Then I had a large hard stool. Since then I have been having loose yellow watery stool. Is it true if you ae going that you do not have an obstruction? Also, I have been taking probiotics for IBS and have stopped. Could this be causing my diareah? I don't feel sick. just stomach pain under my ribs and abve my belly button.
JA: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: I have had loose stools for a while the pain is since yesterday and no nausea or vomiting
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Chip (M.D.) replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

What kind of bowel obstruction did you have in the past?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a ruptured umphaloceal at birth. I had a ton of adhesions. 5 years ago I had an obstruction from them. They cut the scar tissue away and we hoped the impacted bowel would open back up. It was like a balloon with a constricted area. Tight but not closed off. About 2 years later I had my gallbladder out and a week after another obstruction it turned out that the bowel did not expand and it was causing problems. They resected about 11 inches. Since then I have been having loose stools on and off. My pcp reccomended I take probiotics for the loose stool and it works well. However, occationally I get really sore and bloated and get scared. The other day, I had the pain and could not pass gas or stool. Finlly the next day I had a large hard BM and since then just loose yellow stool. I have not taken my probiotic since saturday because I am out of it.

OK

Stopping the probiotics might have brought on the diarrhea

But from what you've told me you don't have another bowel obstruction--just a diarrhea problem

Please let me know if you need any more information