Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My dad had neuropathy when I was a teenager so I don't

Customer Question
My dad had neuropathy...

My dad had neuropathy when I was a teenager so I don't remember much except the doctor told him he would not be walking in 6 months and he wasn't. How many types of neuropathy will cause paralysis and can you tell me what they are?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No one has diagnosed me with neuropathy except the doctor that performed the EMG. I have seen a neurosurgeon for a blown disc in my lumbar L4 and L5. He has prescribed physical therapy for now. When the EMG doctor's paperwork said neuropathy I took notice and started looking up heriditary neuropathy. My sister has neuropathy along with a deceased brother (cancer) had been diagnosed before he died.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Don't think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

There are many different types that can cause this

Do you know if your dad was a diabetic or alcoholic?

I have other symptoms besides the pain and numbness. Body mass has deteriorated and I am losing weight for no reason. I am falling up steps (not down yet). Have dizziness and nausea that cause can't be determined along with dementia. I can't remember things constantly....all day. No altzheimers...yet.

I don't understand

you or your dad?

are you diabetic?

do you drink?

My dad was diagnosed over 40 years ago and became wheelchair bound shortly after. I am the one with all the symptoms. My dad is deceased. I am not a diabetic, but I used to drink. I haven't drank in about 8-10 years. I think my neuropathy goes further than what I have read concerning the L4 L5 disc.
I have sharp stabbing pain in the shoulders and legs. They feel like ants are crawling. Nerves seem to twitch and feel as though a bug is crawling on me. Legs and feet feel burning hot at night.
Legs are numb from the knees down (I know the disc can cause this) and arms and hands are numb from the elbow down.
Feels like they are waking up from being asleep.

have you had an EMG?

that is where I saw the word neuropathy which had a different meaning to me than to to doctor that performed the EMG
After this happened, I called my sister and that is when I found out my brother had also been diagnosed with neuropathy. My sister said she has been diagnosed with neuropathy in her legs, but she is older and has Parkinson's so she is not concerned with the neuropathy. I also have a nephew with neuropathy in the arms and hands. I'm just curious if it could be hereditary and which ones cause paralasis so I can get more research on those types. I felt that HSN1 neuropathy was a fit.

It is possible there is some type of hereditary neuropathy

HSN 1 would be a fit

but also something like MS

have you had an MRI brain?

but not for this. He was looking for something else associated with my dizziness and nausea.
MRI clear
I have another sister that passed away with MS. She was severely retarded and was a forcept baby.

I'm very sorry to hear this

just click send to reply