Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am desperate to find help with essential tremor.

Customer Question
I am desperate to...

I am desperate to find help with essential tremor. Interferes with my quality of life.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have seen doctor for a couple of years. He prescribed propanol (sp?) but getting worse.....

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am also on an antidepressant - have been for years. Have gained weight because of it. That makes me depressed. I have high anxiety. Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

What way? Depression anxiety? Of course I have reached out to someone. I am now going to a neurologist. I have going to a counselor. Not medical. Christian. Almost like a sounding board....

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/15/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im very sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually essential tremors can be treated with the help of various medications and treatment modalities other than propanolol. Propanolol is actually the first medication which is tried in mild cases and if that does not work , stronger medications can be used which control almost 99% of the cases. The treatments which can be tried include,

Anti-seizure medications. Epilepsy drugs, such as primidone (Mysoline), may be effective in people who don't respond to beta blockers. Other medications that might be prescribed include gabapentin (Gralise, Neurontin) and topiramate (Topamax, Qudexy XR).

Tranquilizers. drugs such as alprazolam (Xanax) and clonazepam (Klonopin) can be used to treat people for whom tension or anxiety worsens tremors. This may be helpful in your case as you also have anxiety.

OnabotulinumtoxinA (Botox) injections. Botox injections might be useful in treating some types of tremors. Botox injections can improve tremors for up to three months at a time.

Apart from medications other issues can include,

Therapy. Physical therapists can teach you exercises to improve your muscle strength, control and coordination. Occupational therapists can help you adapt to living with essential tremor. Therapists might suggest adaptive devices to reduce the effect of tremors on your daily activities, including:

• Heavier glasses and utensils
  • Wrist weights
  • Wider, heavier writing tools, such as wide-grip pens

Deep brain stimulation. Deep brain stimulation might be an option if your tremors are severely disabling and you don't respond to medications. In deep brain stimulation, a long, thin electrical probe is inserted into the portion of your brain that causes your tremors (thalamus). A wire from the probe runs under your skin to a pacemaker-like device (neurostimulator) implanted in your chest. This device transmits painless electrical pulses to interrupt signals from your thalamus that may be causing your tremors.

The deep brain stimulation is a last resort but usually we dont have to implement it. I would suggest that you first discuss the other options with your neurologist and start with primidone which has been found to be the best drug for controlling essential tremors.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor