Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 80 years old, female. Last year I was in the hospital…

Customer Question
I am 80 years...

I am 80 years old, female. Last year I was in the hospital almost 3 months following a quadruple bypass and pacemaker insertion. I am in relatively good health now, although not as strong physically that I would like. My doctors are pleased with my recovery and medication response.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No allergies, thyroid and cholesterol medication, 41mg/51mg entresto and 125mg digoxin 3 times a week, 81mg aspirin plus a multi vitamin daily. My primary doctor is adamant that I take the flu shot or else. I have never taken the flu shot and cannot remember the last time, if ever I have had the flu, certainly not in the 35 years I have lived in San Antonio. I am not a social person, do not get out much to be exposed except doctor's offices. Do I really have to get a flu shot? I was extremely upset when I left the doctor on Monday. She told me to come home and think about it for 3 days then make an appointment for a shot. I feel very strongly about this and have heard of too many people having gotten sick from taking the shots. Your opinion is appreciated.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Other than cataract removal two or three years ago, appendectomy when I was about 25 years old, I have always been extremely healthy, and when I was employed I very seldom took a sick day. Also, as cooler weather approaches, I take Vitamin C regularly. San Antonio winters are usually mild.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/15/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 5 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

A general recommendation of flu shot in your age group is advised especially with a significant history of heart disease (quadruple bypass and pacemaker). The reason considered is that one may have low body resistance and flu can cause serious complications.

Having said that; looking at your history (no flu in past many years), while one should go by the recommendations, if you wish, you may avoid it. An individualized approach in this matter supervenes the general advisory.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor