Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Should I have an upper endoscopy? I’m a 48 year old male.

Customer Question
Should I have an upper...
Should I have an upper endoscopy?I’m a 48 year old male. Since childhood I’ve had issues with nausea when I'm feeling stressed or anxious. I have had issues with anxiety and panic attacks and I have taken anti-depressants in the past although the side effects were too much to bear and I had to get off them. I’ve been to gastroenterologist maybe 4 times or more in the past couple of years. One of them told me to be careful of drinking orange juice since this may be too much acid. That advice was helpful.Each time they ordered an upper endoscopy and each time I decided not to have it done because I didn’t want any unnecessary procedure done.About 6 months ago I was going through a very stressful period again and was feeling nauseas from time to time so I went to a gastroenterologist again. He ordered a bunch of test including an upper endoscopy. Again, I decided against the upper endoscopy.The doctors seem to order a test depending on what I tell them. If I say I feel nauseas they order the test. If I say I’m feeling ok they say you don’t need it.My primary care physician asked me if I feel any pain or discomfort and at the time I was feeling good. He said if you don't feel any pain or discomfort you should have an upper endoscopy and didn't give me a prescription.
The last couple of months SINCE I went to the gastroenterologist my stress level and anxiety have been very low. I’ve been feeling really good about things and I have not been feeling nauseas at all for the last couple of months mostly because things in my life have been improving a lot. This makes me feel like a lot of my anxiety issues were situational and not as much biological.My family says it’s all in my head and I’ve been like that since I’ve been a child and that I should not have any unnecessary procedures if I don’t need it.
However, when I cancelled my endoscopy 6 months I RESCHEDULED it and I’m supposed to have it next week.
Should I have it or not? Am I overanalyzing this?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/15/2017
Doctor: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

if your symptoms have essentially resolved with the decrease in stress levels and no other symptoms just as black stools or blood in your stools, it would be reasonable to defer the upper endoscopy for now.

However, if symptoms do return in the future, I would recommend follow up with the gastroenterologist to see if upper endoscopy is appropriate at that time.

Does that answer your question?

I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.