Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son was throwing up and passed out. He did this two

Customer Question
My son was throwing...

My son was throwing up and passed out. He did this two times. He's a large boy about 5"9 300 pounds. Would that have anything to do with it?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No It just started this evening, I was sick last week throwing up and fever also.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

His fever is about 99.6 only half a day and he does have asma but im not sure if its bothering him.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/15/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like that he may have developed a viral infection which is causing him to throw up and then pass out. He could be passing out because of the force being exerted in order for him to throw up is activating his autonomic nervous system leading to a condition known as vaso vagal syncope. This would cause him to pass out even if he stood him too quickly. Right the now the first thing to do for him would be to increase the intake of plain water and also electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade which would be very helpful. Secondly he should also start using OTC dramamine which would be helpful as well. Third if he is asthmatic then the asthma could also be acting up and causing him to lose consciousness.

Now since he has passed out twice already i would STRONGLY urge that you take him to the ER or the urgent care center and have this evaluated as soon as possible. But his weight is UNLIKELY to cause him to pass out this frequently.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor