Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had some intermittent foot pain for about 10 years.

Customer Question
Second opinion] i have...

Second opinion] i have had some intermittent foot pain for about 10 years. the pain is quite severe. swelling to exceed shoe size happens. both feet have it, but not simultaneously. the pain travels around. this time it has gone on for more than a month, starting in left foot instep, moving after a week to right foot instep. it felt like someone had fun over my foot and broken all the bones between the upward end of my toes and my inside ankle bone. any clues?

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?no recent injuries. the swelling occurs only for the first 2-3 days. the pain is probably only minorly connected to that.
after about 10 days of the pain in the arch that felt like someone had run over my foot, it left there and moved to the area usually diagnosed as plantar fasciitis, then a few days later to my ankle bone, and then to various places, but not toes nor the underneath of my foot. the pain is still there, maybe a #2, keeps moving around, but is now becoming walkable if i go slowly.one of your colleagues suggested the swelling and possible attendant nerve damage/edema/age-related issues. i will follow that parts of his advice that i don't already do, but i think there is something more/different involved. one of the foot pains, gout, has been ruled out by several out by 3 physicians, a nurse practitioner and 2 nurses.
if i receive an opinion from you, i will probably pursue this locally. if you are willing to pursue one phone call, my number is(###) ###-####MST. i will be home by 5 PM today.i am so very grateful for this service. i really do not know where to go next.
lynn (that's why i call this pain "lynn foot")

No injuries. the swelling had subsided to the point where i can get a shoe on but makes indentations.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Each ankle has been twisted once (not broken), probably 30-40 years ago. major arthritis etc.in back (cervical through waist). triple bypass 2.5 years ago. i'm 70, this pain started about 12 years ago, occurring frequently (every 3 months or so), with occurrences subsiding over 7-8 years ago, and the newest beginning 10/1/17.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/15/2017
Doctor: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD
Hi, doctor John here from JustAnswer.Have you ever been placed in a cast or walking boot for the pain?