Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is a person to do with a 16 year old who doesn't take…

Customer Question
What is a person...

What is a person to do with a 16 year old who doesn't take medication, that has ADHD and ODD. He is very intelligent, but he is lazy and defiant. He has made it hard for anyone to have him around for very long, including his parents but they are not parenting him right and he is spoiled and likes the wrong kind of attention like people getting mad.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

He is not on any kind of meds. I am his grandmother and I am thinking it is due to all the antibiotics that he was continuously on when he was young

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He had a very high fever when he was approx. 3 years old. His mom was rocking him in his bedroom and didn't realize he was getting blue. They called an ambulance and when I got to the hospital all he did was scream and cry and this was after they brought him in.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/14/2017
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician and I am happy to help you. Please give me a moment to review your question.

Thank you for waiting. ADHD with ODD are challenging behavioral diagnoses for a teenager to live with and a guardian to parent him through. Of first and foremost importance is a patient, loving adult in his life is provide encouragement and support, yet firm discipline and boundaries for behavior modification. Reinforcing personal responsibility and consequences (rewards for good behavior, punishment, loss of privileges and negative outcomes for bad behavior) with consistency and immediacy are paramount as well. Finally, seeking the services of both a counselor/therapist as well as someone skilled in prescribing the appropriate prescription medications to aid with focus/concentration as well as curb anger outbursts and defiance, such as a child psychiatrist is helpful. Can I answer any other questions?

There are no child psychiatrists here or good counselors, so can a trauma psychiatrist help him?

At his age, an adult psychiatrist can see him, but not all adult mental health professionals, including a trauma psychiatrist necessarily treat ADHD and/or ODD. I would check with the psychiatrist's office first prior to making an appointment. He/She may also be able to refer you to a psychiatrist colleague of their's in your area that could address your grandson's conditions.

Can I help with any other questions today?